What is the San Antonio Public Library
The San Antonio Public Library has been serving Bexar County residents since 1903. Since its inception, the Library has changed millions of lives through the transformative power of information, imagination, and ideas by providing a vast network of community gathering spaces, expanding access to books and other learning resources both digitally and physically, and spearheading efforts to increase literacy and the adoption of emerging technologies.
Membership to the San Antonio Public Library is free to all Bexar County residents. Access to the digital collections is available 24/7.
Two Ways to Register
In-Person – Stop by any of our 27 locations during regular business hours. Typically, all one needs are a photo ID and proof of current address – like an up-to-date driver’s license. For more information about how to get a library card, visit our website.
Register Online – To begin immediately using some of our services, fill out the online registration form and then stop by any San Antonio Public Library location within 30 days to present your photo ID and proof of current address and pick up your library card.
Once You've Registered
Congratulations and welcome! With the San Antonio Public Library, you can:
- Borrow eBooks and eAudiobooks
- Borrow the latest issues of popular digital magazines and newspapers
- Access online services like Tutor.com to receive homework assistance
- Research your family history online and receive assistance from specialized Library staff
- Access 27 locations conveniently located throughout San Antonio
- Access millions of books, magazines, and DVDs from the Library’s physical collections
- Get questions answered in-person, over the phone, or online by professional librarians trained to find information
- Access high-speed broadband internet connections using your own device through our Wi-Fi or through our hundreds of public computer terminals
- Get work done using Microsoft Office on our public computers or in our collaborative meeting room spaces using touchscreen and telepresence technology
- Attend a wide variety of programming and special events targeting the needs and interests of children, teenagers, adults, and families