As this year marks the centennial of Henry B. Gonzalez’s life, the Library is honored to pay tribute to him and the important legacy he has left for the San Antonio community.
A special dedication to late Congressman Henry B. Gonzalez will feature the Hon. Charles Gonzalez and State Representative Diego Bernal on September 28 at Bazan Branch Library at 6:30 p.m.
Several branches will host Eugene Rodriguez, a former staff person and friend of the late Congressman, who will discuss his life and work. A detailed list of all events follows.
Latin@ Art Exhibits
September 7 - November 7 at branches across San Antonio
- Sybil Press - Mission Branch Library
- Raul Gonzalez - Carver Branch Library
- Sarah Castillo - Bazan Branch Library
- Ashley Mireles - Pan American Branch Library
- Sybil Press - Great Northwest Branch Library
- Adriana Garcia - Forest Hills Branch Library
- Chris Clean Castillo - Memorial Branch Library
- Mari Hernandez - Parman Branch Library
- Thelma Muraida - Cortez Branch Library
- Guadalupe Marmolejo - Tobin Branch Library
Latin@s in Public Service & The Legacy of Henry B. Gonzalez
For the Centennial Celebration of Henry B. Gonzalez’s birth, please join us for a remembrance of his political legacy and influence in shaping San Antonio, as recounted by staffer Eugene Rodriguez.
- Saturday, September 17, 2 – 4 p.m., Mission Branch Library
- Saturday, September 24, 2 – 4 p.m., Cody Branch Library
- Saturday, October 8, 2 – 4 p.m., Tobin Branch Library
- Saturday, October 15, 2 – 4 p.m., Las Palmas Branch Library
Igo Genealogy Club: Researching Hispanic Ancestors
- Tuesday, September 20, 2 – 4 p.m., Igo Branch Library
Hispanic Heritage at Mission Marquee Plaza: Vitrina Music & Culture Festival
Enjoy a full day of mariachi groups, music, dance, cultural demonstrations, interactive art workshops, discussion panels on Hispanic music and film, outdoor fitness, a Selena look-alike contest, food trucks, giveaways, and a screening of the Selena movie and a Selena-inspired music finale.
- Saturday, September 24, 10 a.m. – 6 p.m., Mission Branch Library
Celebrate gaining your US Citizenship, no matter what step in the process you are on! This program is being hosted in collaboration with the Friends of the Las Palmas Library and Mi Familia Vota.
- Saturday, September 24, 3 – 5 p.m., Las Palmas Branch Library
Civic Engagement: How to Select a Candidate/Su Voto es su Voz
Elections present voters with important choices. Come find out some essential points to consider and get registered to vote in this important election year! This program is presented in conjunction with the League of Women Voters, Mi Familia Vota, and NALEO.
- Monday, September 26, 6 - 7:30 p.m., Bazan Branch Library, McCreless Branch Library and Pan American Branch Library
- Tuesday, September 27, 6 - 7:30 p.m. Memorial Branch Library
Thoughts & Reflections of Two Public Servants Hon. Charles Gonzalez & State Representative Diego Bernal
Two public servants, Hon. Charles Gonzalez and State Representative Diego Bernal, discuss the life and work of Henry B. Gonzalez for the anniversary of his centennial year and in honor of his public service.
- Wednesday, September 28, 6:30 - 8:00 p.m., Bazan Branch Library
Latino Culture & Identity with Henry R. Muñoz III (CEO Muñoz & Company)
Henry R. Muñoz III (CEO Muñoz & Company) is a nationally respected voice in the discourse about the imprint of Latino culture and identity upon American society in the 21st Century. A designer, social activist, opinion leader, and philanthropist, Mr. Muñoz works across multiple platforms that converge at the intersection of politics and the built environment. Mr. Muñoz’s presentation will touch upon Latinos and Latinas in Public Service and the legacy of Henry B. Gonzalez, as well as other related Latino issues.
- Monday, October 3, 6 p.m., Forest Hills Branch Library
Integration or Stratification? Hispanic-Serving Institutions & The Researchers Who Love Them
Please join us for a presentation from Rick Sperling, Ph.D. from St. Mary’s University.
- Saturday, October 8, 2 - 2:45 p.m., Carver Branch Library
Latin@s in Public Service- Councilwoman Shirley Gonzales
Councilwoman Shirley Gonzales discusses her career as a Latina in public service: what or who inspired her to be a public servant, why public service is important, lessons learned, and more.
- Saturday, October 15, 10 a.m., Collins Garden Branch Library
Visit mysapl.org for a complete list of upcoming programs. Contact Candelaria Mendoza at 210.207.2625 for more information about Hispanic Heritage Month programming.